Monday, March 6, 2017

My Epiphany

Yesterday, I sat down to write today’s article. This is the week I scheduled to lay out President Trump’s plan to punish the poor. There is more than enough material to prove this is the administration’s and Republican congress’s plan. As I sat down to write, I felt an overwhelming urge to walk away. Go work in the garden or play guitar or piano.

That’s when I had my latest epiphany. All this political stuff is important and it’s depressing as hell.

I’ve decided, for my own health and well-being, I need to stick to my own wheelhouse. My purpose in life is two-fold:

        Create as much beauty as I possibly can in this world.
  1. Draw the attention of others to all the beauty and bliss I find already existing in this world.


Someone else is going to have to fight these political fights.

I’m out.

Here is the first piece my self-redirectioning has produced:




Safe



I sit peacefully on the front porch
Safe from the early March rain
Gentle and cold
It washes the pine pollen from
                the trees
                the air
Causing it to gather like greenish-yellow dirt
                in the cracks in the sidewalks
                in the gutters along the street sides

The wind picks up
Waving the pine boughs
I imagine they are palms branches
I am Egyptian royalty
Safe and wealthy on my front porch

A solitary dove calls from a neighbor’s tree
As I am about to answer,
                preparing to blow the avian call
                through my hands
Another of its own kind responds
                from the southwest

The wind calms
The thunder fades to the southeast
The rain persists
It sounds like bacon lightly frying
As it collides with the earth
Each miniature impact
Reminds me of my safety


I linger 

No comments:

Post a Comment