Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Epic Fail


Epic Fail

The kids seem to be abnormally fond of this saying over the last year. Today, I experienced it. 

I was literally just finishing some writing on the importance of the indwelling Spirit of God in our lives when my daughter called me to her room. She had just had a bad dream and felt that there might be “something bad” in her room and wanted me to pray to make sure the room was clear.

I prayed for a little while in the Spirit and said, “Well, you are here.” This evoked a slight smile. “And Jesus is in you so, Jesus is here.” A little laughter.

I prayed a little more. I believe that she is at the age when she needs to be taking more and more of the responsibility for her relationship with the Lord. So I said, “Just connect with His presence inside you.”

“I don’t know how!” More tears.

“What do you mean you don’t know how? You pray in tongues don’t you?”

“I think so.”

“You think so? Just pray in tongues a little. (She began praying) Do you feel His presence?”

“No.” More tears.

“OK. Do you remember a time when you felt God’s presence?”

“Yes.”

“When?”

“Youth America.”

“Great! Go back and re-experience that. Close your eyes. See what you were seeing. Hear what you where hearing. And feel what you were feeling. Let me know when you are back there and experiencing His presence.” She nodded to let me know she was there. “Good. Now just pull that presence inside of you.”

She opened her eyes and looked at me, “I how do I do that?”

I had her describe the experience to me. It was a beautiful, powerful experience that has forever changed her. Wonderful stuff. He is so good to us!

I had her go back and re-experience it again. This time and the height of the experience I had her reach out with her arms and pull Him inside. I lead her to experience Him filling her from head to toe and fingertip to fingertip.  I told her to feel God filling every space, every cell within her. Feel His love, His joy, His peace filling her. As she did this all tension left. All fear left (perfect love casts out all fear sound familiar?). I said, “just sit there and enjoy that for a while.” And I left the room.

I left because I wanted her to take responsibility for this experience with the Lord. This is her relationship; her walk. I want her to know that she can do this on her own.

So, why did I call this an “EPIC FAIL”? Everything turned out great. I called this an epic fail because, first,  through my writing and traveling to minister to people I teach people all over the world to experience the indwelling presence of God but, had not taught my own daughter. She is currently learning how to lead worship, herself, and I hadn't taught her the most fundamental part of being a good Christian, let alone a quality worship leader.

Secondly, I called this an epic fail to illustrate that, we work hard to be the best we can be. And, even at our best, we can fail miserably. And isn't it amazing that the Lord will show us how to fix it in the simplest of ways?

That's my view from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment