Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Jesus' Intercessory Prayer


John 17:20-23

“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.
“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them that they may be one just as We are one; I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.”

Jesus prayed for unity in His church. There is no denying that we currently do not have unity. It is true that there are many and varied reasons for the schisms that we currently live with. And, could one of the reasons we are not experiencing unity be because we have not emphasized His Indwelling Presence?

Do I believe that I’ve found the key to healing the church’s wounds and making her whole again? While I do not claim that level of intelligence, I believe that the simple answer is yes. I will explain this as fully as I can as we continue.

Before we go any further, I would like to point out that I am not proficient at this myself. So, my writing does not come from any sense of superiority or judging my brothers and sisters in the Lord. I’m trying to figure this out just like everybody else.

Praying for unity is the last thing Jesus did at the last supper. Obviously, it was heavy on his heart. This should not surprise us fora number of reasons:

  • ·          Jesus knew what was in all of our hearts: John 2:23-35
  • ·         Reconciliation (restoring unity) was Jesus’ ministry: 2 Corinthians 5:17-19
  • ·                     As a Jewish man, Jesus understands the importance of the oneness of God (Deuteronomy 6:4)
  • ·         As a Jewish man, Jesus knew the power of unity: Genesis 11:1-9 (tower of Babel); Leviticus 26:8 Deuteronomy 32:30; Ps. 133:1
  • ·         Jesus experienced disunity within the ranks of His own disciples: Matthew 18:1-5; Mark 10:35-45




As Jesus is praying for unity within the church and among all believers, notice that He believes the answer is the indwelling presence of God.

I don’t think there is any other way to read this passage. He says it three separate times in these four verses:

21 “that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us,”

22 “And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:”

23 “I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, “

So, we should not be surprised that we have this challenge in the church and in our relationships. It is common to all mankind.

Jesus knew disunity was coming.

He prayed for unity.  

Then He sent the answer in the form of the Indwelling Holy Spirit.

Lord, restore unity to Your church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment