Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Honor Pt. II


"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 'Honor your father and mother' (this is the first commandment with a promise) 'That it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.'"

                                                                                     Ephesians 6:1-3
                                                                                          ESV

During the early stages of the separation and divorce process our emotions are raw. This creates a very real temptation to speak badly about our former spouse, either in front of or directly to our children. We simply can't give in to that temptation for several reasons.

First, our children have been commanded by God to honor their father and mother. There are no qualifiers in the commandment. It is a simple, straight forward command. If my kids hear me bad mouthing their mother, it makes it very difficult for them to obey this command. How do you honor someone you've been taught is a terrible person and you don't respect?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading where Jesus said something about causing children to stumble and a mill stone being hung around the offender's neck...

Now, the kids go to mom's house and mom knows something is wrong. They tell mom all of the terrible things I've said about her. She decides to return the favor (you really do reap what you've sown). Now the kids come back to my place angry and disrespecting me. It is just more raw sewage we have to wade through on our way to becoming healthy.

We are living through a very painful situation that I've just made more difficult for everyone.

But there is much more damage we haven't discussed, yet.

It isn't just our lives that are being obliterated during divorce. Everything our children have ever known is either broken or being threatened. This world is now one big insecurity. And they have a sneaking suspicion that it's their fault.

Now, Dad starts telling them what an awful person Mom is. Mom starts telling them what an awful person Dad is. It doesn't take long for the kids to realize, "Mom is a bad person. Dad is a bad person. They made me. I must be a bad person."

That sounds absurd to adults because we know that we decide what kind of person we are going to be. But kids are not adults.

There are a couple of more consequences for talking down about your former spouse. The kids still love their mom (or dad) - for good reasons. They quickly get tired of hearing me say bad things about her and they get resentful. It breeds rebellion.

Finally, it doesn't take long for the kids to get sick and tired of being used as a weapon. More resentment. More rebellion. Sounds like a wonderful home life, yes?

During this time the kids desperately need to feel loved. None of these scenarios result in them experiencing feeling loved.

While my ex and I have been guilty of this a few times each, I am thankful that we were both mature enough to fix it.

For my part, I had to go back to the kids (and my ex) and say, "I should not have said that about your mom. I can't undo it. Will you please forgive me?"

"Yes"

"Thank you. It won't happen again."

My kids don't expect me to be perfect. They definitely know better by now! They do expect me to do what's right and act like an adult.

That's my view from here.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dean,

    This is Ellen, and I wanted to post some scriptures in agreement to what your blog says and then comment personally.

    “This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him.” Deuteronomy 30: 19-20a

    “The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” Proverbs 18:21

    “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” Luke 6:44-46

    “With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.” James 3:9-12

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, when my daughter was a baby and divorce proceedings began, I decided that she wouldn't have an angry, embittered, unforgiving, wounded mother, but a strong, loving, forgiving one. I resolved not only to refrain from speaking critical words about her dad or allowing others to do so, but also to bless and honor him and his relationship with her as her dad. There is power in speaking life and blessing.

    What does that look like? We pray for him and his wife and 2 stepdaughters nightly. I make sure that my daughter chooses birthday and Father's Day cards and finds ways to honor her dad throughout the year.

    Additionally, we honor her stepmother as well. I speak words of blessing to her stepmom and about her stepmom. After all, this woman has a unique influence on my daughter's life.

    Our families are respectful of each other and sit together for school functions and special events. All three parents expect that our daughter shows respect to all of the parents in the two families. I don't allow her to speak disrespectfully to her dad or about her dad, and he offers me the same courtesy. When she has a concern with her dad, then I listen and encourage her to speak openly and honestly about her feelings with him. I don't intervene with him on her behalf because she needs to learn to strengthen her own relationship with him.

    On the times when her dad and I disagree about parenting issues, then we talk privately. If my daughter senses that we are working on a tough parenting issue, then I tell her that we are adults and will work out what is best for her. I tell her that we are disagreeing, but she didn't cause the disagreement.

    Because we choose to bless her dad's family, then, ultimately, my daughter benefits from knowing that she has two unique families who love and cherish her in different households. Her routines and rules might vary between families, but the love for her is constant.

    Our children are listening to our words, so let's ensure that blessing and honor and life proceed from our mouths, instead of curses and death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I've never seen these comments before. I am sorry I missed them. This is a powerful testimony. I trust it has continued since you posted it. Thank you. Again, I am sorry that I am just seeing this now. May He bless you and your daughter with more of His presence.

      Delete